Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Latest

I had a meeting with a parent and principal a week or two back and he told me that "This isn't like Brooklyn or something. I've been to America, I lived there for 9 years. Things are different here. The children are spoiled. We call
Them sweetheart and give them anything they want." He felt I was being too strict with his child. I felt like his child was playing with the wrong teacher. I gave him a few minutes in the morning, unofficial, informal meeting time. I told his pop that I'm not there to be his child's friend. Pop didn't like that. He also apparently didn't like y body language. So the boss got involved. We hashed things out. His son is still acting up on certain days. And he's definitely NOT having fun on those days.

Something I don't like about teaching in a private school: when teachers are absent, the present teachers cover that teacher's class during their preps. For once, I'd like to be in a school that utilises subs. I am not a fan of subbing OR having extra kids in my class.

Fingerprinting went SO much better than the medical. We took a long bus ride into another town, where we sat in the most pleasant chairs to get fingerprinted quickly and orderly.

Something I like about teaching in a private school: Afterwards, we stopped for coffee and pastries on the way back. Took most of the day. No one complained.
I haven't been fingerprinted in years; did you know that ink isn't used anymore? Yeah man, they used a screen of some sort that captured all of the detail of the fingerprint. It was really cool-looking.

I really do have to watch my body language though. Apparently I frequently use a gesture that can be interpreted as "goat" in some form or another. And like I said, the parent took my body language during our conversation to mean disrespect. I felt him sizing me up but didn't know why until we met with the principal. She asked me to placate him within reason before we got in the meeting. I killed him with kindness then kindly told him that the way I run my class is the way ill continue to run it. And...things of that nature.

One of my students does not speak good English and once every two weeks he walks calmly to my desk and just stares for creepily 3 seconds until I say "What's wrong _____?" Then he says very solemnly "I will vomit." I frantically tell him to get the heck outta the room. I just know one day he's gonna vomit on me. I've accepted this, I'm at peace with it.

I know 4 Arabic words/phrases - shame, I swear, soon and hurry. So I can say "It's a shame how soon I hurry to swear" in Arabic.

I still have to stop myself from saying "God bless you." I've noticed that that's not a thing. Or is it?

The 'r' rolls harder in Arabic than it does even in Spanish. I love it.

I heard the prayer call on the radio (as opposed to right outside of my window at 90 decibels every 70 minutes when I get home from work) for the first time. It sounded DOOOPE. No I will not make the sacrilegious joke you have come to expect from me. Not while I'm in their country haha!

I had 11, 14, 14, 17 students (out of 26) each day this week. Sickness. Hope I don't get it. Hope they continue to have it. Kidding, somewhat!

I'm starting to really like Doha. Very urban but they need a public transportation system and better pedestrian walkways. I stepped out around 5:30pm, right after it got dark and the temperature went down, and the streets were buzzing and I almost felt like I was back in NY on an early fall day. Made me miss the energy I'd feel from the city moving back and forth between working out and cooling down. I wonder if I'll ever be a part of that again.


No comments:

Post a Comment