Monday, December 3, 2012

Sri Lanka For The Holidays!

I'm going to Colombo, Sri Lanka for the winter break and the COMBINED cost of air and hotel for my wife and I over a week is HALF the cost of one plane ticket back to the US. I'm hoping to ride an elephant, climb a holy mountain (whatever that is), and not get up at 5am.

Who am I kidding, I'll still rise at 5, but at least I can lay around and scratch and play with my phone until I'm ready to get up and...further lay around and scratch and play with my phone.

We asked our driver to hear some music in the morning, and there was none available, just prayer. I can't understand it, and I don't necessarily prefer it, but I could always use some.

I keep this in mind: "No one anyone does is because of you."

It's a projection and reflection of their own reality.

We're supposed to be in our car by 5:55. I get up a little after 5 and it's difficult. I go to bed pretty early but not 9pm, and I probably won't. In the past I'd just assume that I have to be more disciplined and accept the misery of rising even earlier. But rising at 4:30 am to get to school that is 10 minutes away and doesn't start until 6:45 just doesn't make sense for me. Not if I'm miserable because of it, and I'm not getting anything done in particular during that time. I do it because I didn't get a driver at the beginning of the year so I ride with other people, people who want to get to work early. That's what happens when you don't plan ahead. My issue, not theirs. So it's on me to fix it.

The school maintenance workers look so weirded out when they come into my classroom after dismissal. I don't blame them. They don't know if I'll be blasting gangsta shit, singing loudly along to George Michael's "Last Christmas," or doing dips in between two tables they're getting ready to clean. Maybe they come in while I'm "liking" some weird pic that Mario "liked" on my newsfeed, or using a meter stick to hang every anchor chart at the exact same amount of inches from the whiteboard chalk ledge. Either way, they usually nod and smile while their eyes look like they're saying, "Just one day I'd like to dust without you weirding me out, you freak." Haha. Too bad I can't get drunk with them like I did with the maintenance at my old school. I suspect they are infinitely more interesting than the teachers here.

Then again, I've never heard ANYTHING like the kinds of things that came outta the mouths of the teacher I played the drinking game "Never Have I Ever..." with on thanksgiving. My goodness, the stories these international teaching veterans have.

There are like, hardly any garbage cans in Doha. But the city is quite clean. Because there are workers ALWAYS cleaning up after people. There aren't any trash cans in most Burger Kings or McDonalds; people just leave the trays on the tables and someone cleans up after them. That's pretty much how it seems to work here.

I start tutoring next week. Single mom, difficult kid, it'll be an adventure.

When it gets chilly here (70 F), people wear jackets and scarves. Back home, 70 F meant short sleeves for me. But I must admit, 70 in the desert feels like maybe 60 back home.

Some people talk a lot probably because they can't stand the sound of their own thoughts. But they shouldn't invade yours because of it.

You want a natural rush? Make a cup of green tea with two bags, let it sit until it's just warm, and gulp it down fast. It'll mess with you. I first started doing this with coffee, but I've switched it up because the tea is natural-er. I thought I wasn't too sensitive to caffeine. Not the case. I know, I know, this is all too fascinating for you to bear.

My wife got mad at me because I was very tired and fell asleep during the second movie we saw at the Doha TriBeCa Film Festival. I'd be mad at me too. The star and director was right next to me. My body was like "off now." The films I stayed up for were pretty darn good though. Especially the last one, "No Place For Men" was the title, I think.

It rained this weekend and it was beautiful. That isn't common. And it was appreciated.




No comments:

Post a Comment