Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Not At Work, But On The Job


Just went into panic mode about the fact that I'm working for myself this year, haha.

You know the story if you've been following the blog, so I won't fully repeat it, but since I've removed all the posts related to what took me from hopeful, first-time-international-educator-with-positive-expectations-and-an-open-mind to disenchanted-but-not-discouraged, former teacher/tutor-for-hire/soon-to-be health coach/personal trainer, I'll give you the quick recap:

The school my wife and I were hired to teach at and I didn't see pupil-to-pupil for a variety of reasons, so over the course of 3 or 4 contentious months, we negotiated a situation in which I'd take a leave-of-absence while my wife assumes a new position at the school. I no longer work for them, she does, but I'm still under their sponsorship, so I can't (and wouldn't) work elsewhere. I've chosen to pursue my health, writing and artistic passions while supporting myself by contracting out my tutoring services (because the ability to teach my ass off didn't cease to exist just because I resigned from being a teacher; I'm trying my hand at cutting out the middle man). There were many posts dedicated to the struggles I experienced over the past year, but I removed them because I felt like I had strayed from the original purpose of the blog, which was to focus on my unique experience as one of the few black American males here in Doha. The blog underwent a change in design and mood to reflect the shift back to it's original purpose.

While caught in the throes of panic, I decided to call the family I worked with last school year and arrange to start tutoring after next week. It's sometimes downright scary to know that whatever you earn will be completely dependent upon your own hard work but it's a good fear and that's how I want it. It'll be a good 6 weeks before the money starts coming in but I've grown to learn that when you handle your business with prudence, smarts and integrity, the money takes care of itself. In the meantime, I'm still working out if/when I'll start this online health certification program. I'm leaning towards it while also very much considering becoming a certified personal trainer, hoping to offer my services to former colleagues and whoever else might want/need my services. I'm making sure to eat well, exercise, rest and take care of the house during the day (I'm like a house husband and it's not bad work if you can get it, haha). I've spent the past week improving my online presence because I'm going to need it to be solid as I reach out to different creatives in the Doha community, which won't be easy. I'd like to get into a hip-hop scene of some form or another, so we'll see. I may not be going to work every day anymore, but trust me, I'm on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment