Sunday, October 28, 2012

To Do(n't) Lists

We are in the midst of a lovely 9 day holiday break called Eid al-Adha. It's for commemoration of the prophet Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his young and only firstborn son in obedience to a command from God. It also marks the end of the annual Hajj to Mecca. Celebrations include family and friend gatherings, meals (especially lunches and late breakfasts), wearing new clothes, and giving gifts. This is a significant and important time of the Muslim year. I've heard my NY students talk about it before I knew what it was and it's fascinating to see it within a Muslim country. It seems expensive and stores are in full force during this time. To a westerner it is very, very similar to Christmas.

I have taken the opportunity to reflect, relax and recharge. These are some things I plan to keep in mind during the break:

No comments:

Post a Comment