Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pay Me In Falcons, Baby Falcons

Girly-ass handwriting
My wife is in my classroom modelling a writing lesson about breaking up big stories into small moments. Of course the kids are tickled about this, especially when she mentions me. I can see the thought bubbles form over their heads with the words, "He is human!" Of course the words inside of those thought bubbles are most likely in Arabic (and judging by some of the language that's been used in my class recently, probably a lot more profane. Twice this week I've gotten, "Misterrrr {roll the 'r'}, Misterrrr, Mohammed said to me 'fuck you!'" I damn near said, "The fuck you learn to say that shit?!" But you know, you always learn the curses first). She's really good with transitions and little techniques to keep the students silently engaged. I'm grateful for this right now because I am BURNED OUT right now. This class requires so much energy and they don't have the stamina for a full day of learning yet. Maybe I don't either, haha. I wanna sleep sooo bad. She thinks my kids are adorable. I guess they are, but then again, other people's kids are always adorable, no? Oh man, I just fell asleep - good thing she got them captivated on the rug!


"Pardon me, payroll? Yes, please pay me in these from now on. Thank you."
I had something called "late duty" today. It's basically one teacher and a cafeteria full of feral youth, foaming at the jaws, running around like chipmunks on high off vampire blood. It's "Lord of the Flies" in an 1100 square foot space with nothing but chairs, tables and blatant disregard for any structure whatsoever, and the supervising teacher isn't necessarily at the top of the food chain. It's so absurd that if I had to do this once a week, I'd demand to be paid in falcons.

Hit up the gym today and watched last night's debate by the pool. Yeah, it was basically what all of you were saying:

Mittens: *says things, mostly attacks, in desperate bid to pull off an election upset*
Barry O: This nigga lyin'. Candy, check his ass 'fore I do.

You know what I'm NOT gonna miss about this apartment after I move in less than 2 weeks? This unidentifiable stench that creeps into my bathroom every day. I don't mind a stench in my bathroom, as long as I'm responsible for it, but this smell is some foreign welcome funk that we've traced to absolutely nowhere. I might have the larger bathroom, but while hers smells like pleasant nothingness, mine randomly smells like a toilet that's been used, but unflushed for two weeks.

So, "Gangham Style" is everything over in the states also, huh? The video never fails to make me laugh. I'm hoping it knocks Maroon Contrived outta the number one billboard spot.

Sorry, that was uncalled for. I got no problem with Maroon 5. I mean, I do find much of their music to be hackish, but they're good for a soulful banger every once and a while. Still rather listen to them over Train ANYDAY.

Tomorrow is our Friday. We end the week with study cohorts after the kids get sent home early. This means we sit and plan and discuss Lucy Calkins from 1-3:15. I'm not saying this makes teachers wanna drink more than they already do, but lets just say that this makes teachers wanna drink more than they already do.

My kids were pretty eager to write raps and they weren't half bad! I'm doing a hip hop after school program and I don't know WHAT THE HELL that will entail. I'm thinking we get some beatmaking going on about 20 computers and I let the kids rock out, see where it takes them.

Had an awesome workout, took a good shower, ate some nice food and finished a load of laundry. Falling asleep now to "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy," one of my favourite movies ever. Can't be mad at much right now; as long as I'm living in the moment, everything's copacetic. Y'all be good.

Stay classy, Doha.

No comments:

Post a Comment