Thursday, June 8, 2017

Tough As Nails

I've been cutting my kids' nails for 3 years and never cut them too short...until this morning. It was a good run. I've pretty exclusively done the nail-cutting in the household since my first child was born, so I'm very comfortable with it. Maybe too comfortable. While clipping 9 month-old Hudson's baby claws, I accidentally snagged some skin from his index finger. I initially mistook his jerkiness for typical baby resistance to any situation in which I'd like him to be still. But after realizing what happened, I was properly horrified by the sight; he was properly over it within 30 seconds. It's hard enough clipping baby nails, imagine trying to do it after such a mishap destroys the trust it took 9 months of clippings to build. As I lifted each of his tiny fingers thereafter, I felt like each trimming attempt was met by a face that said, "Hey, Edward Nailclipperhands - try not to cut off one of my digits over there. I need all 10." I proceeded with caution, and after a coupla wiggly minutes, I was done. Both of us relieved and worn out, early nap time beckoning. Talk to you guyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment