Thursday, September 5, 2013

Something Had To Give With This Oatmeal

Sad Jack :(
Happy Jack :)
Turned on TV this a.m. like: "Corny romance movie; change channel." Minutes later I'm like: "I promised myself I wouldn't cry! *sniffle*"
Then I found myself sitting here MAD happy for Jack Nicholson. I didn't know she was gonna come back while he was sad on the bridge! I was touched.

Damn I'm getting old. And soft. In all the right places, I guess. 


I've had an irrational fear of oatmeal for too long. Something about the texture and the weird taste and the way it looks like melted rug sitting there in the bowl. But I know it can be a good weapon as far as me fighting belly fat, getting my fiber, calories and good carbs up. I'd tried it in different ways the last few months, and though some recipes turned out edible, none were GOOD. And I know I won't keep eating it if it's not good. I'm thankful for the "put some almonds/fruit/cinnamon" tips, but none made oatmeal tasty. What I didn't know is that there were other things I could be doing with the dry oats, that don't make them change to that soupy texture that grosses me out. Even though my wife has made delicious oatmeal cookies, I totally didn't consider the option of baking my oatmeal. Then I saw a recipe for "no bake oatmeal peanut butter cookies." I put that in my pocket and made a note to try that sometime. It was especially appealing because it's made in the microwave and not the oven, and half of the appeal of instant oats is...how instant they are. So a few days ago, I set about looking for a similar recipe because I couldn't find that one, and I came across this one from www.fitnessmagazine.com. I chose this one because it was the only one with the right combination of requiring ingredients I have, not taking too long to make and looking tasty and doable. I tried it and and lo and behold - they are delicious. I need to experiment with different amounts of ingredients (used way less sugar the second time I made them) but all in all, I'm very happy with the results. A good, quick fun breakfast meal. I used white sugar instead, coffee extract, and flaxseeds instead of chia seeds (no cocoa powder or coconut flakes). If you do this, I doubt you need the sugar at all, but see what works for ya. Mine looked a little different but taste great just the same. Of course, I was open after that, haha. So I tried this no bake oatmeal peanut butter cookie recipe (damn I'm lazy; ironic because I started this blog stating that I never considered "baking" my oatmeal - guess I still don't haha! No, but I promise I will try to "bake" recipes as well.) Yo. Dude. These are my favorite anythings in the world right now, I swear to you. They taste so good I want to hit someone out of pure joy. Like, if joy could be expressed through violence, I would have to do that after eating these. I changed a coupla things, like substituting chocolate whey protein for cocoa powder and using cinnamon sugar. My wife made the good suggestion that I should put them in the oven after to make them even firmer, more like a cookie, instead of the breakfast bar-like consistency both of these treats ended up having. I think that can be achieved with different microwave timing and ingredient ratios, however. Either way, these are great options for an on-the-go lifestyle. I know this isn't new, but it's new to me!
Left: Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes;
Right: Oatmeal Peanut Butter "cookies" 



 
Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

No Bake Oatmeal Cookies    
No Bake Oatmeal Cookies
Enlarge Image
10
PREP TIME
20
TOTAL TIME
6
INGREDIENTS




INGREDIENTS

  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons fat free milk
  • 2 tablespoons Peter Pan® Crunchy Peanut Butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats

NUTRITION INFORMATION*


Serving Size6 servings (1 cookie each)
Calories100

DIRECTIONS

  1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and milk in 4-cup glass measure or medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 1-1/4 minutes or until boiling, stirring once.
  2. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla until blended. Stir in oats until combined. Drop by spoonfuls onto a waxed paper-lined plate to make 6 cookies. Cool in freezer 10 minutes before serving.

Ingredients
ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup dry oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
Dash of vanilla extract (optional)
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon coconut flakes (optional)
2 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional, for a chocolate banana cake)
Directions
1. Mash the banana.
2. Add everything else except the blueberries and stir.
3. Gently fold in the blueberries.
4. Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray and put the batter in it.
5. Microwave for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes.
6. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.






No comments:

Post a Comment