Friday, January 25, 2013

They Ain't Never Seen No Nigga In A Supermarket Before

Heard about the Django thing, "They aint never seen no nigga on a horse before." That's how I felt in Megamart as people constantly stared at me while shopping on my sick day. One Asian dude even asked where I was from. Guessed Africa, of course, and apologized when I said America. I guess because it was middle of workday. And since I never see young black (that means African here) males alone doing things the ex-pats or Arabs do, I can understand the stares. A guy who LOOKS like me is almost always doing security or working in some kinda service or labor. Or occasionally with a group of others at the mall, or looking like he's on the way to/coming from some athletic endeavor. Never just strolling the streets and looking for a good pear in the produce section. Especially without an ex-pat-looking wife. But hearing me speak makes all the difference. "Ohhh, he's American." Just happens to not look like Americans here are supposed to look. So I get it; they ain't never seen no nigga in a supermarket before.

No comments:

Post a Comment