Thursday, May 8, 2014

Do(g)ha

As I approached the house I tutor at today, I heard the barking of what sounded like a large dog, which is unusual because dogs are rarely kept as pets in Muslim households for cultural reasons. My hope was that the dog was actually in the yard next door because the house I tutor at is pretty lawless and not the place you'd want to see a large dog with free reign. 
Also, no house is a place I'd like to see a large dog with free reign. 

To my dismay, and fear, more fear than dismay, the dog belonged to them, and I was rerouted from my normal path as I walked through the entrance gate, but not rerouted enough to feel safe. 
My student told me that the dog was returned to them after being stolen, possibly sold back to them by the person who stole it. Yea I know that sounds pretty weird but that was my best guess through the language barrier, which is more problematic at certain times than others. He also told me that the dog hadn't eaten since being taken, which is hard to believe because the dog was gone for well over a month, possibly multiple months, but not THAT hard to believe as I watched the dog ravenously chew on a piece of meat I hoped it would continue to focus on as I slid past it. 
Because of the alleged time that elapsed since the dog's last meal, I was told during our session that I had to avoid it because if not, it would probably jump on my back and kill me by attacking my neck. 

That's not something I'd want to happen. 

I'd want that to not happen to me.

And because I'd want that to not happen to me, I tutored with one eye and ear towards the door, just in case the dog made it inside the room and I had to make a split-second decision that involved one of us being fed to the dog, and me escaping as that happened. Thankfully, no one was eaten, polygons were studied, and the dog wasn't outside when I exited an hour later. Because you KNOW that was the final obstacle that ran through my head as the session wound down. Hopefully, the dog isn't stolen again, but if so, I hope the thief feeds it this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment