Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Power vs Influence?

The lasting effects of British colonization is crazy. Makes me reflect on a conversation I had with Malcolm. America might be the world's sole superpower by definition, but British culture is ingrained in more societies than America could ever dream of.

It's crazy how in all of my travels I see countries valuing the British way as the correct and best way to do things. I made a similar observation years back regarding Caribbeans I knew in America who'd always talk about their superior British education and other non-indigenous aspects of the culture (I understand this ideology more now; at the time I was just annoyed). But when you travel, particularly in the east, you really feel the extent to which Britain has a stranglehold on societies in seemingly half the world. This seems to be done mostly, and most effectively, through compulsory education.

America still gets love and American practices are still valued, but my impression travelling abroad is that the British way is the established, proper way and the American way is the exciting, trendy way. I guess this makes perfect sense considering America is Britain's younger, roided-up, rebellious younger sibling.

This is how it feels to me:
A foreigner is inviting Britain and America to his home. He sees Britain, politely smiles, looks around to makes sure everything is acceptable, gets on his best behavior, says "Welcome. I hope you like my home. I'm honored you've come to visit; I have so much respect for your country. May I offer you a beverage?" He sees the American, he smiles big, assumes a relaxed posture, tells him what kinda alcohol he has and says, "How are you? Good to see you! I love you crazy Americans; you guys are so much fun with your electing black presidents and giving important music awards to Macklemore - it's great!"

No comments:

Post a Comment